Inevitable Ascension- V. K. McAlister


   This book is video game fast, with video game deaths and outlandish main actors’ superpowers. For me, there is far too much action and far too little story. However, I am not an intended reader; of that I’m certain. This is millennial generation writing with the modern addiction for frenetic virtual reality action. Of its sort, the writing is very good.
   Some reviewers have made a lot of its religious content. Sorry, but I’d didn’t really get that at all. I read purely traditional dystopia with a few biblical names. For me, the kick-arse female, with physical superpowers is all a bit passé, as I’m sure is the feeling of increasing numbers across all post teenage generations. Why do futuristic women have to eat testosterone bars? The steampunk I loved, despite its erratic appearance. I wouldn’t have known that the book had two writers, except for a couple of apparent continuity slips and rather inconsistent standards of grammar. The time travel elements were clever, always reappearing in the anything but Abrahamic time lapse Eden.
   I’m sure this book will appeal to many of the video games generation. But it isn’t for lovers of character development and crafted language even in that category. Until it all gets much too fast and overcomplicated towards the end I enjoyed it. The first few chapters are particularly good. I don’t recall any sex or romance whatsoever, except what I thought was being implied between the two main characters. The bits of the book that lean towards comedy are by far the best. They at least allow the reader to relax once in a rare while. Perhaps sci-fi/fantasy comedy is the direction best suited to this writing team.
   I don’t hesitate in giving this book five stars, because though it is definitely not for me I know it will draw many fans. This is video in words.


Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

The Last Days of Night- Graham Moore

Memory Factory: Heist of the Century- Russ Golish

Another Space in Time, Returns