Rise To Power- Uvi Poznansky

First thing: - Just in case anyone doesn't know, this isn't a biblical studies book. As such that it is, some may find religious offence in the free interpretation. This is a liberal historical fiction based on the authors private view of what just might have happened behind the brief scripture sentences. I am not conventionally religious, but even if I was I'm sure that I would still find this writing very entertaining. It is reasonable, though, to warn the religious scholar rather than reader of fiction as to the nature of the content.
Second thing: - I felt cheated by getting such a short-changed version of the whole story. I felt that the author was more concerned about stretching commercial value than giving the reader a treat. I've been unable to throw off the feeling that I've been offered a half portion. This great read just stops, so demanding more money from those wishing to complete the journey.
There simply isn't a great deal of factual stuff about David, even if one is religious enough to trust every biblical word, so getting a complete story in one volume seems anything but an unreasonable expectation. It isn't like this is a long read, that leaves one already exhausted, anyway.
I did find some of the expressions rather clichéd, fashionable, rather than helpful, and I failed to see what the thin scatter of mildly offensive language did to help the read. I accept that the slang element may well lend realism, but when writing about what is to some people such sensitive material is its use really helpful. It isn't like our language is short of descriptive words.
The rest of this opinion is only positive. Poznansky writes engaging and easily flowing prose. I haven't read anything else she has written. I am anything but put off doing so. This is a very entertaining book, and quite possibly a very good psychological assessment of a particular type of high achiever in any period of history. In the version I read there were one or two inconsistencies of grammar and even a few questionable uses of words, but few of either, and certainly not enough to upset my enjoyment.

I am a fan of first person narrative such as this. Yes, this is first person narrative. Poznansky brings a very real flesh and blood David alive through over two and a half thousand years of intervening time. King Saul is wonderfully reinterpreted as well, as are a number of other personalities, not least of which is the detached head of Goliath.

Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

The Last Days of Night- Graham Moore

Memory Factory: Heist of the Century- Russ Golish

Another Space in Time, Returns